Using anti-bacterial paint on your next decorating project
We are in unprecedented times, Trade Paint Direct are committed to offering you the service that you know and love during these times of worry & uncertainty.
We can appreciate that following the government's advice and self-isolating for 7-14 days can be a challenge. You might be isolating due to a family member displaying signs of the virus. Therefore, you’re going to have a lot of time on your hands. You might think about decorating that back bedroom that’s needed doing for the last 5 years? Or giving the kitchen a fresh lick of paint! With the spread of COVID-19 on the upward curve, we thought it would be a good idea to review and recommend some antibacterial paints that will help keep your walls germ free and looking great.
If you’re planning on doing some decorating soon we’d like you to consider the following:
- Are you or loved ones vulnerable to COVID-19?
- Have you got the right equipment to do the job?
- Are you investing in the correct paint?
For more advice on the COVID-19 and guidelines on how to protect yourself and loved ones visit the government's website.
1. Are you or loved ones vulnerable to Covid 19Trade Paint Direct is no stranger to providing products that help businesses and individuals enhance their cleanliness. We’d like to stress that should you or anyone be vulnerable to COVID-19 then you should immediately follow the government's guidelines and seek medical advice should you need to. You can find more information on COVID-19 on the following websites:
2. Have you got the right equipment to do the job?
When planning a decorating project it’s important that you have the right equipment. Painting & decorating can be a bigger job than you may think and it’s important that you’re well prepared prior to commencing your project.
Preparation & Protective Equipment
We’d recommend sourcing some protective equipment. This is going to help you not only protect the parts of the house you don’t want to paint but also it’ll help you protect yourself. Invest in the following:
- Polythene Dust Sheet - This is going to help you prepare the surfaces that you don’t want to get paint on. We’d recommend taping the sheets down to ensure certain items do not become uncovered.
- Protective Gloves - There are a lot of chemicals in paint that your skin maybe sensitive to. We’d recommend the purchase of some protective gloves.
- Carpet Protector - You don’t want to get paint on the carpet. Invest in a carpet protector to ensure you don’t end up spending more time scrubbing the carpet than you do painting the walls!
- Decorators Overalls - We’d recommend wearing some overalls which will make sure you don’t get any of your clothes dirty or ridden with paint. The overalls are washable and reusable for your next project.
- Masking Tape - Finally, you’ll want to make sure the skirting boards are safe! Masking tape is your best mate for this task. Don’t cut corners. Buy some.
Once you’ve done your preparation we’d recommend ensuring your walls are as prepared as they can be. Follow our 3 step rule.
Clean The Walls
We’d recommend using a light soapy substance to clean the walls. You can use the vacuum cleaner to remove any dust or dirt. Then using a light soap and water substance gently wash the walls as you would a car. Dry with an old towel. You may have to leave them overnight to ensure that the walls are fully dry.
Remove Old Paint
Using a paint scraper or sandpaper, remove as much of the old paint as possible. This will ensure that the wall is fully ready to be painted.
Repair Any Cracks or Holes
We’d then recommend using filler to ensure that any cracks & holes are sorted out and the wall is in pristine condition ready for a fresh of paint.
3. Are you investing in the right paint?
Now as discussed above. We’d recommend the use of an anti-bacterial paint which ensures that germs are kept to a minimum. At Trade Paint Direct we only offer products of the highest quality and from verified suppliers.
Below we have listed our TOP THREE anti-bacterial paints.
This paint is used by professionals. You won’t open the back of a painter & decorators van and not find a tin of this in there. It’s the best.
A quick-drying, water-based coating containing an in-film bactericide which inhibits bacteria.
It is a tough, washable, durable, stain-resistant matt emulsion and is suitable for all normal interior wall and ceiling surfaces. Sterishield Diamond Matt from Dulux Trade is not a substitute for good hygiene practice.
The sterishield product is available in both Diamond Matt & Diamond Eggshell
Crown Paints also offer their own version of anti-bac paint. This scrubbable matt is ideal for homes with young children as little hands get everywhere.
Steracryl Anti Bacterial Scrubbable Matt is suitable for interior wall and ceiling surfaces where a durable, scrub resistant, water-based and anti-bacterial matt finish is required.
It offers a true, anti-bacterial finish using independently tested SteriTouch® silver ion technology
Buy It Now
This product helps fight the development of mould which is a huge problem for a lot of landlords, business owners & homeowners.
A water-based, durable, mould inhibiting acrylic eggshell for use on interior walls and woodwork.
Steracryl Mould Inhibiting Durable Acrylic Eggshell contains fungicide to maintain decorated surfaces by inhibiting the development of mould growths on the paint film.
Buy It Now