H4 Wood & Stone is a colourless, waterproof protection for wood and stone. It allows wood to age naturally and turn grey without damage from water, pollution, moss and dirt. Perfect if you like the natural look of wood as it turns grey but are anxious to prevent damage such as splitting and cracking which will happen if wood is left untreated.
H4 Wood & Stone is hydrophobic and therefore water repellent, it is completely clear and will have no effect on the colour or appearance of the surface being treated. It is silicone-free and helps to prevent environmental attack including from mould and water.
H4 Wood & Stone can also be added to water-based finishes (such as paint or stain) to enhance their water repellent characteristics and optimise performance. Simply add 10 – 20% to the finish.
Ideal uses for Owatrol’s H4 Wood & Stone
- Maintaining and protecting wood that has greyed naturally
- Maintaining and protecting stone, cement, plaster, limestone, marble etc.
- Allowing new wood to age naturally whilst still protecting it
- Keeping a natural look to fencing
- Add to water-based finishes to enhance their water repellent characteristics
Surfaces must first be clean, dry and free of dirt, grease, grime, mildew and previous coatings. Treat any mildew with a 50/50 bleach/water solution. Scrub the solution on to the surface and allow it to stand for 10- 15 minutes before rinsing thoroughly.
After cleaning with Net-Trol and/or stripping with Prepdeck, allow the wood to dry for 2-3 good drying days or until it has reached a moisture content of 18% or less before applying the finish.
H4 Wood & Stone can only be applied to bare wood surfaces or weathered surfaces previously finished with H4 Wood. H4 Wood may also be applied to surfaces previously finished with Owatrol penetrating products including Textrol and Aquadecks without the need for stripping. Contact us for additional information and advice before proceeding. ALL other finishes MUST be completely and thoroughly removed. If necessary sand surface after cleaning and/or stripping (80 grit paper).
New wood surfaces
Test wood for absorbency by sprinkling water on the surface. If water is absorbed quickly, the grain is sufficiently ‘open’ and the surface is ready for finishing, proceed to Application. If the water is not absorbed then proceed as follows:
- Treat wood with Aquanett or dilute Prepdeck
- Then neutralise with Net-Trol
Alternatively mechanically or manually abrade surface with 80 grit paper and then clean and dust off to remove all loose wood particles.
Weathered wood surfaces (untreated)
To keep the grey look of the wood clean with a light detergent. To restore colour of wood clean with undiluted Net-Trol to remove all loose wood fibres, dirt and other surface contamination.
Previously coated surfaces
All previous coatings must be completely and thoroughly removed.
- Oils and sealers: Strip with Aquanett or Prepdeck then neutralise with Net-Trol
- Solvent (oil or alkyd-based finishes): Strip with Dilunett then neutralise with Net-Trol
- Acrylic finishes (Water-based): Strip with Prepdeck then neutralise with Net-Trol
- Other finishes i.e. 2 pack epoxies, urethanes: Strip with DSP 800 then clean the surface to remove residual paraffin
Note: Hardwoods and woods rich in tannins e.g. Oak, Chestnut, Douglas Fir, Cedar, etc. may darken with Aquanett, Prepdeck and Dilunett, neutralising with Net-Trolimmediately after rinsing will lighten and restore the wood’s colour.
Application of Owatrol’s H4 Wood & Stone
Apply a generous, even application of H4 Wood & Stone and allow it to dry for 24 hours.
When H4 Wood & Stone is fully dry conduct water drop test by sprinkling water on the surface. If water beads the surface is properly protected. If water does not bead, apply another generous application of H4 Wood & Stone to ensure full protection.
Prior to applying a maintenance application conduct the water drop test as mentioned above to confirm if maintenance is required.
When maintenance is required, clean the surface with Net-Trol and allow the surface adequate time to dry.
Apply H4 Wood & Stone as directed above. To maintain optimum protection re-apply H4 Wood & Stone at the following intervals:
- Vertical surfaces once every 12 months
- Horizontal surfaces once every 6 months
Note: Due to the density of exotic hardwoods e.g. Ipe, Teak, Iroko, etc. maintenance on vertical surfaces should be conducted once every 6 months and on horizontal surfaces once every 3 months.
Clean all tools and equipment with soap and water immediately after use.
Things to Remember
- Cover everything you do not wish to coat, including plants and shrubs.
- Do not apply in direct sunlight or to hot surfaces.
- Surfaces in direct sunlight can reach temperatures of 60°C even when the air temperature is 30°C.
- Do not apply if cold and/or wet weather is expected within 24 hours.
- Do not thin.
- Always work the entire length of a board or piece of wood to a logical break.
- Never stop application in the middle of a board or piece of wood.
- After spray application, always back-brush or back-roll to improve penetration and uniformity of coverage.
- Ensure wood is dry – max 18% moisture content.