Owaphos is a rust remover and passivator for ferrous and non-ferrous metals as well as galvanised and zinc coated surfaces.
Benefits of using Owaphos
Negating the need for sanding, O
waphos quickly and effectively, chemically prepares new metal surfaces for painting by creating a fine coat of oxide on the surface that coatings can firmly adhere to. Used diluted Owaphos removes rust from ferrous metals and the oxidation from non-ferrous metals e.g. aluminium, galvanised and zinc surfaces.
Ideal uses for Owaphos rust remover
- Remove rust from ferrous metals such as; steel, cast iron, etc.
- Remove rust from non-ferrous metals such as: copper, aluminium, zinc, chrome, alloys (bronze, brass, etc.), galvanised metal.
- Optimise the adhesion of the finish to smooth surfaces
- Improve anti-corrosion resistance of painted metals
- Eliminate oxidation on non-ferrous metals (aluminium, zinc, galvanised metal)
- Avoid tedious mechanical sanding
- Surface must be clean, dry and free of oil, grease and other surface contamination.
- Clean surface with Pura-Trol, Soapclean or a suitable solvent e.g. Acetone.
- Allow surface to fully dry.
Note: On heavily rusted surfaces treat with Owatrol Oil or mechanically prepare the surface back to bright clean metal (SIS-Sa2½ or SIS-St3).
- Light Rust: 1 part Owaphos to 3 parts Water.
- General Rust: 1 part Owaphos to 1 part Water
Application of Owaphos rust remover
- Wear chemical resistant gloves, safety goggles and protective clothing
New Metal – Surface Passivation:
- Apply Owaphos
- Allow to work 30 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly with fresh clean water – DO NOT scrub the surface
- Apply diluted Owaphos
- Allow to work 15 to 30 minutes depending on severity of rust being treated
- Repeat process if required
Once the desired result has been achieved rinse thoroughly with fresh, clean water – DO NOT scrub the surface.
After completion of the Owaphos process:
- On Ferrous metals apply PID 60 within 8 hours
- On non-ferrous metals or stainless steel apply Polytrol to prevent corrosion and pitting of the surface
10 to 12m² (107 to 129ft²) per litre. Actual coverage will vary depending on application method, type, texture and porosity of the surface.
Store in original container and close lid tightly after use. Keep from freezing and high temperatures.
Clean all tools and equipment with soap and water immediately after use. In the event of accidental spills on sensitive surfaces or surfaces not to be treated rinse thoroughly with water.
Things to Remember
- Cover and protect everything you do not wish to treat.
- Apply between 5°C (41°F) and 30°C (86°F).
- Do not apply in direct sunlight or to hot surfaces.
- Always test on a small inconspicuous area first